Growing Cities Blog
Watch this video and check out this simple recipe to make delicious and healthy soda at home – happy holidays!
Lacto-Fermented Lemon Grapefruit Soda
from K. Ruby Blume at the Institute of Urban Homesteading in Oakland, CA
1/2 gallon glass container with lid
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 c whey or 2 Tablespoons liquid probiotic
1/2 c sweetener (sugar, maple syrup, agave or honey)
All ingredients may be adjusted to taste, however less whey will mean slower, less bubbly fermentation. More sugar or whey will give you a faster, more fizzy fermentation. Any real sweetener may be used, including honey, cane sugar, agave. Stevia or fake sugars will not work, as they lacto-bacillii need something to feed on in order to multiply and become fizzy
1. Squeeze the lemons & grapefruit into the container.
2. Add the rinds of 2 lemons & . grapefruit (or less for smaller batches).
3. Add the rest of the ingredients.
4. Treat water if necessary and add to reach the target volume.
5. Cap & shake to dissolve & disperse ingredients.
6. Set in a warm spot for 2-5 days until carbonated. The longer it sits, the less sweet it will get.
6. Strain, bottle & refrigerate.